Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Banana Nut Bread

by Anne


So, I’m not very good at eating bananas before they go bad. I am, however, excellent at eating banana bread before it goes bad. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, right folks?

This recipe was gifted to me at my wedding shower- and with a minor substitution here or there (it calls for chocolate and for some reason I’m not a huge fan of chocolate in my breakfast pastries), it makes the perfect loaf of banana bread. Trust me on this one, I have tried hundreds …ok, probably more like seven… different banana bread recipes and this one is stellar.



Banana Bread
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vinegar (I used apple cider, white would work too)
  • 1 c. mashed bananas (about 3 medium-sized bananas)
  • 1 c. nuts (I used a mix of almonds, pecans and walnuts. Or, 1 c. of chocolate chips, if you like that kind of thing)
In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Stir in vanilla. Add eggs and beat well. In a medium bowl, sift flour with salt and baking soda, set aside. In a small bowl, make sour milk by combining vinegar and milk. Add sour milk alternately with flour to the creamed mixture. Stir in mashed bananas and nuts. Pour into two* greased and floured loaf pans. Top with a mixture of brown sugar and nuts, to taste.

*Make sure to split the batter between two loaf pans- this stuff is DENSE and one large pan will result in a mushy middle, over baked top, and a crabby baker. My husband can vouch for that.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny, I'm not very good at eating the bananas before they go bad either. But I'm very good at freezing them! I have like 10 in there now. Maybe I'll make this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete