Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Oatmeal-Craisin-Chocolate-Almond Bliss

by Anne

I got this cookbook for my birthday last year and I have solid plans to bake my way through the entire thing. Seriously, not a single recipe has failed me. In fact, I’ve revisited multiple recipes multiple times- a rare occurrence for this somewhat restless baker.


These cookies are faaaaan-tastic. And while I didn’t follow the recipe exactly as it was written, I’ve had absolutely no complaints from the household cookie monster (his mom liked them too!). They’re great as-is or crumbled over a big bowl of vanilla ice cream.  And because they have oatmeal, nuts, and craisins, they kind of taste like a granola bar. So you can definitely justify having a few of them with your morning coffee, right? 

A couple of notes:
  • The dough will be stiff. And I mean, STIFF.  That’s a good thing- it means the cookies will be nice and dense.
  • Use whole, rolled oats. Not the instant kind. I’ve used both and the former have a far better texture and way more flavor.
  • I use "Baking Spice" from Penzey's instead of straight cardamom. If you can get your hands on some of it, do. It’s amazing stuff.
  • Let the dough chill. Seriously. I usually bake my cookies in small batches so that I don’t eat all of them in one sitting “overindulge.” The dough will keep in your refrigerator for up to a week or you can freeze it for up to two months.
 Oatmeal-Craisin-Chocolate-Almond Bliss
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking spice
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups oats
  • 1 cup craisins
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped almonds
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Cream butter and sugars in an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add half of this mixture to the butter mixture and beat for 15-30 seconds. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Add the oats and beat for another 15-30 seconds. Fold in the craisins, almonds, and chocolate chips. Cover the bowl and chill for 6 hours.

Preheat the oven to 375 and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Form the dough into balls and place an inch or so apart on a cookie sheet. If desired, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Be sure to rotate the pan halfway through the baking time to ensure even heating.

2 comments:

  1. These are the best cookies ever if they are the ones I am thinking/dreaming about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Anne! Just let me know anytime you want a batch. I even have a delivery boy, if you need such services. Maybe you've met him?

    ReplyDelete